Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My first day as a volunteer

So my mum asked me to write this sort of journal of my first day as a volunteer in an animal clinic.
Actually I agreed as well because I did no record during the whole day, yet if I want to apply to a specific university in the future, I have to. So here goes, and first, I am VERY thankful for Dr. Matthew Thomas for letting me volunteer in his clinic, and his experience for 30 years, I am sure be able to learn a lot. And gratitude for April, Ali, Atif, Kumar, Madi, and some who I haven't known their names (for this I am very sorry), they helped me a lot! Thank you for my mother for recommending this clinic to me. Thanks for April for recommending me another clinic due to my own good but then it didn't work out because there's another volunteer learning there now. Thanks for Yap's Animal Clinic and Surgery because even though there is no space available at the moment, but they suggest me to go next year, so I still have the opportunity to learn more.  I also wished for the very same luck for tomorrow and near future.

So when I first entered the clinic, they showed me around the area, the two rooms for their surgeries, one room for x-ray and grooming, and a small area at the back arranged with cages of different breeds of dogs and cats.

Our first patient is a dog, I don't know it's breed (cons for not recording at present), with appetite problems, vomiting, and diarrhoea. So the doctors there showed me how they open the dog's jaw without getting bitten, and then had to feed him wet food. Then came the medicines, in tablets and with minor force, let the dog swallow the pills. And then some injections and the dog is good enough to rest. I don't remember the order in coming of the patients (cons for not recording #2), so I shall list them for what I remembered.

I saw how they do a blood test. A machine that dilute blood, 3 different strips to check on conditions based on the liver, kidneys, and heart muscles. The dog today has problems with it's liver.

A cat in an accident went for a x-ray check, learning that it's upper and lower jaw had a fracture, due to it's unstable condition (fright and pain), the doctor suggest to do surgery tomorrow morning, called 'wiring'.

The first dog to be put in surgery today, is spaying. To stop it from reproducing. It's a female so the reproductive system inside has to be removed. If it's a male (I asked), then we should remove it's testicle. So first is to give the dog anaesthetic so it feels relaxed and little pain. A machines is connect to it's tongue to measure heart rate and beat. Then an incisor is cut through her belly (sorry no photos), the doctor then has to find it's reproductive system, including the uterus, Fallopian tube, and ovaries, then he will tie the blood vessels (needle and nylon thread, clamps and sutures), and cut of the uterus followed by the ovaries. Finally he will suture the incision, from the flesh, and then from the skin. Lastly is to apply disinfection and cream, so the wound will heal and glues the skin back together. 

Another case is that a pregnant dog, large unknown breed, has problem labor through the vagina, so the doctor has to help her reproduce by c-section (abdomen). The problem is that the uterus are in c-shaped, blocking the pathway through the vagina, so a surgery has to done. The procedure is similar to the one in spaying. So the uterus had to be taken out, which is like half a meter long with little babies inside. Incision the made in the uterus, and puppies are taken one by one. Altogether there are 7 puppies, but unfortunately, only 2 survived. The mother is in good condition.

There are 2 surgery cases which a dog has an ear infection, causing the ear to swell with blood clotting inside. The surgery is simple, incision through the ears, remove the blood clots, and suture the flesh. One is quite challenging, for the blood clots has hardened and it's difficult to remove the clots. When suturing the ear is still a bit swollen, maybe further action is to be done. The other one is less swollen, blood flows out easily.

Another surgery I encountered is simple, plain flesh slit and the bones can be seen. Treatment is to suture the flesh together and done.

Today I have been told to have 6-7 surgeries, I encountered 5 of them. I watched with my eyes but is still not experienced enough to do it with my own hands. I am happy and satisfied.
The followings are normal check-ups.

Such as more in stomach pain, appetite problems, diarrhoea, and vomiting. Puppies for vaccination. Others include fever, ticks and infection. Some are cured by having a shot, some given medicines.
There is this old mother and daughter with their healthily looking dog, to me it's more like obese, to the clinic, for I remembered a little ear cleaning and nails. I am really doubtful by the size of the dog, it's a small breed (same size like corgis) , but weighs 14.5 kg, but the doctor assured there is no serious trouble as the dog is happy-looking and had a great appetite. Some dogs have rash and allergy but is good enough with cream. One had a serious diarrhoea but is immediately put away from the surgery room because it keeps excreting in the room.

A golden retriever puppy, named Mocca, with two Chinese sisters as owners, is a little sick since birth but had a vaccination today. The puppy is extremely cute, with a very healthy golden fur. 
And a cat which is like a replica of Garfield but not really that fat, soft fur and very tamed, so I like her as well. There are also dogs who drip-feed.

Today is a very busy day, patients come and and patients goes. The people there are amused as I am only in secondary school, they thought I am now in college. And I guess they can see that I am really happy in there because opportunities like labor trouble are rare. Dr Matthew said that I am a very lucky girl. I also believe I have beginner's luck.

As for the people there, they are SUPER friendly. I really like them. All of them are black skin, I don't know if all of them are Indians, for some seemed to be from Pakistan, only April is yellowed-skin, a Chinese, but doesn't really know Chinese Language.They gave me a lot of learning opportunities. 

Ali, a young man who keeps calling me by spelling out my name "H-E-I-M-A-N", keeps making jokes and is the man I most interacted with today. He asks me why am I interested in this career. I am actually not sure myself, all I thought was the same as treating a human being, but I find this excuse funny, so I ask him: Why do you choose to be a vet? He laughs and only told me he was not interested in animals but he did not tell me his real motive to be a vet. He makes really funny jokes, I think he is from Pakistan, by hearing their conversation. He does not know Tamil (a little), so he actually one to be those international speakers, like English, Malay, Tamil, Chinese. He learns a little Tamil from his colleagues. Then he offers to teach me a little Tamil and me to teach him simple Chinese in return. 

Atif is also another young doctor, I find his suture skill not as mature as Dr. Matthew. And then he will keeps on saying: One day, I will be a great doctor. That's why I like him, his eagerness to learn. I find him to be a very gentle man.

April is a mum, with a 18 year old daughter studying in pastry art. She has 2 dogs, experienced for many years in this clinic, though I find her more in the reception counter than in surgery room. She took very great care of me and asked me to not touch a virus infected dog (serious case) so I wouldn't be infected and has to use chlorox to clean myself.

The others, I shall call them as nurses, in my memories there are 4 of them. One has an experience of 15 years in this clinic and is a teacher to Atif. We do simple chats and I help them when not in surgery, such as cleaning and counting pills. They have this really sensei vibe, like how they tamed the dogs. Quite strict. For example if a dog keeps barking aggressively, they will yell at the dog, one case I have seen is that he did a 'hand slap gesture' and then the dog will immediately dodge and quiet down, then he will comfort the dog with a pat and some touch, and then examine the dog to see if his wounds are okay and such. 

The condition of the clinic is clean but a little messy, everything is in order, a little cramp but okay to me, and it reeks of dog, but I find it tolerable and it's essential to being a vet. The surgery station is cleaned every time, as well as the floor is mopped and disinfect. We are asked to wear masks and rubber gloves. 

Today is a very reproductive day. I am looking forward to tomorrow.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment