Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 2

Second day is as amazing as yesterday.
I tried to do notes only at break, because I cannot take my notebook and pen in every situation, might be disturbing and uncomfortable, but the problem is I have really bad memory. So here again, unable to jot down every situation, following the notes and my own memories, and write a day's work.

I arrived in the morning, only to find out that a cat died during the night, possibly of heart failure. I don't feel sad, it's sudden death, so it's just come and go. And because I have no memory of seeing this cat in diagnosis so possibly it has been sick for a long time. The stray puppy yesterday taken to the clinic by a man also died.

Patient is a beagle (haha, finally got do notes), basically appetite problem.  Wet food by force to the throat and a few pills.

As for the following there are no more in correct order. 

There are dogs infected by skin irritation. I think ticks are really dangerous, like how they just suck off the blood and come in large numbers. But is easy to handle, bug-killers and comb has reduce the risk to half. As for the more serious type, are maggots. They feed on flesh. So this dog with maggot infection is very serious, two very deep holes about the size of a joint of a pinky, the maggots must have been taken out but the wound needs disinfection and is done by applying cream.

A Labrador is sick, possibly of lung failure and gastric, did blood test. Atif taught me how to identify a sickness by smelling. For example, if a dog has bad breath, possibly of gastric, I think is same as humans, when I had gastric, I always burp, letting the gas out. So I think the dog also lets the gas out resulting bad breath. Also they taught me how to see if a dog or cat is dehydrated. You have to pinch and twist the skin gently. If the skin goes back to it's original condition quickly and smoothly, it means the animal is well hydrated. If it takes time to regenerate back, then it is dehydrated. 

Dogs ears are quite sensitive to me. So it's very important to clean them. So there is this furry dog with flappy ears, and they had to clean the ears to prevent itchiness, using cotton and cleaning medicine. Also to prevent the dog from hurting itself by scratching, they also have to cut the nails. But the thing is, animal nails, the base is connected to blood vessels. So if you cut too deep, it will bleed, and the dog will yelp and it must be painful for the dog. And it bleeds quite lot, to stop the bleeding, apply potassium on cotton and dab the wound.

I also saw the spaying of a female cat. Yesterday's a dog. Atif did the surgery. So the cat was still kitten, and aggressive as well, when giving anesthesia she almost went crazy, and she won't sleep, so had to give second jab. The surgery didn't went so smoothly like the dog, because Atif is still learning and has less experience compare to the others. And since the reproductive system of a cat is much smaller than a dog, so also puts up the challenge. Atif took out the intestines on first try, had difficulties locating the uterus. Once located, same procedure as yesterday, tighten blood vessels, remove the organ, suture. Ali was watching, and drew me the anatomy of a cat, simple cartoon form, circle and oval shaped organs, showing me how to locate the uterus. His first drawing is a failure. He drew the heart on the right side, the intestine between the lungs and the bladder in the wrong place. Then he finally give up and said:"okay, this cat dead." And then drew me another one, don't have picture here with me but u can always google. So when the suturing step, the stitches don't look very nice, like uneven and looks like it swollen. Ali said the customer don't care what we did inside, but the outside must be nice, so Atif had to remove the stiches and suture again. The whole surgery was finished in 32 minutes, everyone is happy, Atif is relieved, everyone congratulated him. Then I learned that the ideal time to complete the surgery is actually 15 minutes or below, that is Ali's record. But well done to Atif anyways! 

Another surgery is the wiring of the upper and lower jaw of a cat yesterday, the operation done by Dr. Mathews. He used stainless steel wire instead of nylon thread. The thing to be done is the jaw of the cat separated, so has to use wire to fix them together and let them heal. The whole operation is successful, just blood coming out and I have to resist the painfulness of jabbing wire into the flesh. Overall, its like putting braces. After the surgery, Ali said that he can see that the cat won't last until tomorrow, which means by tomorrow it will die. I am not so sure by myself. 

Another cat came in the morning, light grey and white fur. The owner said it went missing for a few days and when it came home it looks like it's suffering. The doctor say no broken bones, but if it encounter an accident, maybe it's internal damage. Very serious, very dehydrated. Doctor offered the cat to stay in clinic and use drip-feed.

Dr. Mathew also taught me what a microchip is. Basically is a electronic microchip that is injected to an animals body. Something like an IC. For identification. 

A cat came to remove the stiches from post-surgery. Easy job I think for doctor, scissors and done.

There is also this treatment called ear cropping for particular dogs. Like some dogs who are born to have straight facing-front ears, will then flop down due to some reason, then the doctor have to use like planks and such to make the ear straight again. It's for the beauty of the dog. Like if u don't like your curly hair u have to go to salon and make it straight. Another example is docking of tail. I think that is really painful, same like plastic surgery.

A dog, front paw injured by its owners fence. Stiches and disinfection.

The longest surgery did today is the removal of a joint of a dog. When I first saw the dog, left front leg amputated. But then the joint also need to be taken out. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the surgery ongoing. When I came there they were already doing the suture part and there is so MUCH blood. And then I saw the bone of a joint, bloody! Want to keep as souvenir but they throw away already.

So I want to go back to the light grey and white fur cat earlier. Too bad it died in the evening. I was wandering around the room, then I saw the cat lying with his head in a pool of yellow water, urine la, and then the newspaper under it also absorbed yellow urine. I noticed it's chest weren't moving. It's eyes wide open but doesn't blink. So I went to touch the side of the eyes. By touching the side of the eyes and observing if it's blinking u can know whether the animal is alive or dead. No blinking, just died. So I went to tell Atif and Ali, but they had no clue about the cat, because it was only me and Dr Mathew and a nurse in the exam room that time. Atif and Ali went out for lunch. My heart is racing, just by identifying a dead cat. Internal damage. And there was white foam on the mouth too. Then they proceeded to check up on the jaw-broke cat and surprisingly, still alive. At first I also thought its dead, because shaking the cage the cat won't even budge. Then I saw the light breathing, okay la, at least still breathing. Still got hope. 

Today got another pregnant dog coming. Is a poodle. Cure. The owners noticed it's discharged but no babies coming out. They went to see another doctore and the doctor said need to do surgery immediately. They came to us, and by learning she was only pregnent for 1 month and 27/28 days (should be 64days), baby might not be ready to come out yet so need to wait. Ali gave the dog an injection to contract the muscles. After 2 hours, a first baby is born, but died. After 30 minutes, a second baby born, alive and yapping happily. Once the puppy came out from the vulva, the doctors have to tear off a thin membrane around the newborn, giving it oxygen, then had to cut off belly button as well. Kumar said: God is great. The time gap between each baby is long, possible 30 minutes everytime. When the 4th baby comes out, it's already 5 and my mother came to fetch me.

In the process of the birth, a rabbit came. Not only dogs and cats huh? Rabbit got eye allergy, so just give eye drops.

Also a dog, serious injury I think, the liver swollen very badly, yet Dr Mathew is out and the others have no idea what to do, only to wait. And by that time I had to go home, so I didn't get to see any further diagnosis.

That's what happened today. 
Again I have to say how nice the people are. Love everyone. Just how possibly a vet can be so charming. I know to be gentle to animals also lead to be gentle to humans. But human doctors don't really does that, do they? Amazing perfect everyone! 

Everyone likes to joke. Like during surgery, Ali will start joking and the atmosphere is relaxed. And they have seen more dead animals than I do so they must really be positive at all times, so they joke. I really like it when they joke. 

They said that I am a really lucky girl. They say they like my smile and my eyes. Hahaha so flattered. Even some owners saw me and ask what is my purpose and they will wish me luck too! I am getting much more confident in this career. Of course I am not going to stop learning and loosen down. I will do my best. Atif said:"One day, I will be a great doctor." And then he will look at me and say:"After 6,7 years, you will be a great doctor." I really like Atif because he has ambition and eagerness. He said he like me for my courage. 

I still don't get use to the environment, because I am still unsure of what instruments there are. I don't know the things order. I do things in a slow pace because of uncertainty. I hope to change that first. Fast, quick and accurate. Will try to do notes on smartphones. Easier. Haha. Also I thought of learning the stitching/suture process. But I think I still need improvement in other areas than to step up so quickly. I will do it step by step.

I am really grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment