Monday, February 18, 2013

A new neighbour

So this particular neighbour, he is tall, charming, handsome. Caucasian? Eurasian? Very handsome. High-pointy nose, deep eyes, has a quite dark complexion.
We met only once, in the elevator. His clothes made it easier to guess that he is a white-collar worker.
The elevator is a bit cranked-up, the doors aren't working properly, like the book with teeth (?) which tried to bite Harry Potter in the 3rd movie. He went inside, with another woman, who she is obviously from Malaysia and lives here, apparently, they know each other, but not long. Another lady, sophisticated, behind me, unfortunately, was "attacked" by this stupid elevator and so is my brother. The man looked shocked seeing the incident, while both woman yelped a little. I laid my back on the elevator wall, face looking flat, unsure what to do.
The elevator went up, up, up.... And this man noticed something from the woman beside her, and happily said : " Oh! Are you working in XXX?" His voice, is really "ear-catching", hint of maturity, the unidentified accent. Sophisticated woman, surprised, replied :"Yes, yeah!" And the man said :"Well, I am working in there too!" And I heard laughter from both voices and was able to make a small smile from this weary face of mine. The man explained that he hadn't got his label yet, maybe he was new, or a trans. ? The elevator stopped at floor 6, and the woman waved to the man and stepped out.
The man then turned to his partner, said :".....I had just only learned 'Terima Kasih, Selamat pagi...'" His partner chuckled, as the elevator doors opened again, on the 10th floor. "This way please." The woman said, and they walk away together. My brother, me and a bag of delicacies are those that can be seen in the CCTV left.

I was truly fascinated. I love when people speak, conversations are so fascinating, interesting.
I remembered the time when I was in the airport, standing in line to check in, and a foreigner was talking with a couple behind me. Both are caucasian. It was easy to guess that they never met before. "So where are you going to." "We are going to Hong Kong." "Wow. Hong Kong, yeah, that's a really nice place." The foreigner, who I think likes to travel, started talking about the countries he'd visited. Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia.... The other man listened to him, and his wife, wowed, ooh and aahs. And then they started chatting, random chat, which I most listen is probably sarcasm, to something I don't know. The accents are different, and that really attracts me. I'd really wanted to join in, when he said something that is quite my thing, but then I resisted, which is like letting a chance fly away.

When I really started talking to strangers is when I went to the HK Science Museum. A father, with his sons, were looking as this machine, which can test how fast is your response. They were after me, and were not sure how to operate it. So I spoke, and my mind was blank but full with words, of course   I blubbered a little and got shy. Saying "It's really fun!" and then walked away smiling.

That's my experience. And then I can imagine myself having a conversation with the professors when I am in university. I think that it would be a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment